Monday, August 8, 2011

ZUCCHINI OR NOT ZUCCHINI? THAT IS THE QUESTION...

I don't love the title of this blog. However, it's National Zucchini Day and I was trying to come up with a catchy title. Suggestions are welcome for a different title!

So let's talk zucchini...

What is your opinion of it? If you are a fan, what is your favorite way to eat it? I can't say that I LOVE it, but I don't hate it either! It depends on the preparation. I like to use it in lasagna, substituting sliced zucchini for the pasta. I love, love, LOVE zucchini bread! Years ago I developed my own recipe for zucchini bread, which is pretty amazing since I loathe baking. If you wanna check it out here, it's called ROB'S BANGIN' ZUCCHINI BREAD and it can be found in the BREADS/MUFFINS category.

It's also a textural thing for me. I don't like limp, soggy squash!

For many years I got zucchinis from local farmers and let me tell you, they were HUMUNGOUS!! I was a zucchini bread baking maniac back then! I sure miss those big zucchinis! I have NEVER seen zucchinis even CLOSE to that size in any grocery store!

I'm going to share a zucchini recipe with you that I don't have posted in the recipe portion of Yum-O.  I hope you enjoy it. Oh yeah, if you come up with a better title, I will change it and give you the credit for it!

CHOCOLATE CHIP ORANGE ZUCCHINI BREAD

3 eggs
1 cup oil
2 cups grated zucchini
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips*
1 tbs orange zest
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp nutmeg
2 cups sugar
2 tsp vanilla
1 cup chopped walnuts
3 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon

sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt & spices. in a lg bowl, beat eggs until light & fluffy. add sugar & continue beating until well blended. stir in oil, vanilla, zucchini, nuts, chocolate chips & orange zest. blend in sifted ingredients. turn batter into two greased 9"x5"  loaf pans. bake at 350° for 50 minutes, or until bread tests done. Remove loaves from pans & cool before slicing.

makes 2 loaves

*I only use 1/2 cup chocolate chips. 1 cup works fine, I just prefer less chocolate chips.

No comments:

Post a Comment